this recipe, by janelle bloom, was featured in the march 24 2010 edition of our city newspaper, the advertiser . i made these slices back in 2010 and decided to make them again for this year’s family easter get together.
1 ½ cups plain flour, sifted
1/3 cup caster sugar
80g butter, chopped
1 egg yolk
2 tbsp cold water
500g mini solid easter eggs
1 cup shredded coconut
395g can sweetened condensed milk
1) preheat oven to 180C. grease a 3cm-deep, 16cm x 26cm (base) slab pan. line base and sides with baking paper, allowing a 2cm overhang on all sides.
2) combine flour, sugar and butter in a food processor. process until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
3) add egg yolk and 2 tablespoons of cold water.
4) process until mixture almost comes together. using clean hands, press mixture into base of pan. bake for 15 minutes or until light golden. set aside to cool.
5) unwrap easter eggs. place eggs over slice base to cover. sprinkle with coconut. drizzle condensed milk over the slice.
6) bake for 28 to 30 minute, or until edges are deep golden and centre is firm to touch. allow slice to cool completely in pan.
note: try a combination of sold milk and solid white chocolate easter eggs.
makes 15. preparation time – 20 minutes; cooking time – 45 minutes
“anything is good if it’s made of chocolate.” ~ jo brand