i hadn’t planned to do any baking this week because i had made lemon curd during the long weekend.. however come tuesday night (my baking night) i got itchy feet. so, being totally unprepared, i looked through the cook books. i didn’t find anything that i could make – due to the fact that i didn’t have one or more of the listed ingredients. and i was looking for a gluten free recipe. having no luck with the books, i turned to the net. i searched through bestrecipes and found a recipe for – wait for it – gluten-free chocolate caramel slices. osh.my.gosh!
1 cup gluten free plain flour
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup fine dessicated coconut
1 x 395g tin sweetened condensed milk
2 tablespoons golden syrup
200g milk cooking chocolate
1) grease a slice tin and then line with baking paper.
2) mix flour, sugar and coconut in a bowl and press through the butter until combined. (i mixed the flour, sugar and coconut in the food processor and then added the butter.)
3) press into slice tin and bake at 180c for 10 minutes.
4) while the base is cooking, combine the condensed milk and the golden syrup in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring continuously for 10 minutes.
5) pour the cooked caramel over the base and return to the oven for a further 10 minutes.
6) melt the chocolate in the microwave on 50% power for 2 minutes and then pour over caramel.
preparation time – 30 minutes.
did you know >> caramel shortbread, also known as caramel shortcake, caramel squares, caramel slice, millionaires’ shortbread, millionaires slice, is a biscuit confectionery item believed to be of scottish origin because of the use of shortbread. it traditionally consists of three layers; a shortbread biscuit base, a caramel filling and a milk chocolate topping.
one of the easiest recipes that i have found and made. so little ingredients and a whole lotta sugar. and you can’t even tell that it’s gluten free. bonus.
[warning – offensive language below]
“f**k!” he exploded, chocolate and caramel flying out of his mouth. my heart seized. he looked like he was going to have a chocolate-caramel-layer-square-induced heart attack. “these are unbe-f**king-lievable. i think i’ve finally fallen in love, with a f**kin brownie!” ~ kristen ashley, rock chick rescue