how many of us have eaten nutella, by the spoonfuls, straight from the jar? if ever you tire of that (ha!) and you want to try something different – bake a nutella cake where the only other ingredient is egg. that’s right, this is a 2 ingredient cake. (if you must know i had a spoonful of nutella whilst making this cake.)
anyways, i spotted the recipe, last week, on facebook and my eyes lit up. i followed the links and ended up at kirbies cravings.
i made this cake yesterday. super easy and super quick.
8 1/2 ounces nutella (use the scales to measure – as opposed to using a measuring cup)
1) grease a 6 or 7 inch round springform pan. line with parchment (baking) paper on the sides and on the bottom.
2) preheat oven to 350f (180c).
3) beat the eggs on the highest speed with mixer until it becomes triple in volume – about 6 minutes.
4) measure the nutella into a glass bowl and microwave it for about 20-30 seconds to make it softer.
5) add in 1/3 of the egg mixture. stir with a spatula in the same clockwise direction until all of the egg is mixed in and no streaks remain.
6) add another 1/3 of the egg mixture and fold again until no egg streaks remain.
7) pour in the remaining third and make sure to scrape the foam that sticks to the mixing bowl into the batter and stir until no streaks remain.
8) pour batter into springform pan. bake for 20-25 minutes until knife inserted comes out clean. let the cake cool before cutting and serving.
preparation time 10 mins; cooking time 25 mins.
it looks rich and velvety. the general consensus, from my family, was that the cake was light and fluffy.
note: before i started the baking i checked to see if nutella was gluten free. i wanted my mum, who is gluten intolerant, to try this cake. “nutella does not contain any ingredients derived from gluten containing cereals: wheat, barley, rye, oats or triticale.”
fyi – nutella, manufactured by the italian company ferrero, was introduced on the market in 1963. the recipe was developed from an earlier ferrero spread released in 1944. nutella is now sold in over 75 countries.