this week’s recipe is from a book titled ‘australia’s sweet baking favourites’. this book (limited edition, 112 pages, lots of photos) was a promotional item courtesy of woolworths + nestle. all you had to do was buy 3 nestle baking items and the book was yours. free.
if you’re looking for a recipe to make for christmas (and you’re short on time), this just might be the recipe for you.
185g plain sweet biscuits, crushed
1/4 cup (25g) baking cocoa
150g butter, melted
1 1/4 cups (150g) red glace cherries, chopped
395g can sweetened condensed milk
2 1/2 cups (200g) dessicated coconut
1 1/3 cups (200g) dark melts, melted
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1) grease and line a 19cm square cake pan with baking paper.
2) combine biscuits, baking cocoa and butter in a medium bowl, mix well.
3) press evenly into base of prepared pan. refrigerate.
4) meanwhile, combine cherries, condensed milk and coconut; spread evenly over biscuit layer, refrigerate until firm.
5) combine dark melts and oil. pour over slice. refrigerate until set.
preparation time – 15 minutes; makes 16
note: i substituted the plain sweet biscuits with gluten free biscuits.
super easy recipe. no fuss, no mess, no worries.
(psst – there are several copies of the cook book currently available on ebay.)
“life is just a bowl of cherries, don’t take it serious, it’s mysterious. life is just a bowl of cherries, so live and laugh and laugh at love, love a laugh, laugh and love.” ~ bob fosse