thanks to aussiedesserts who reminded me about this classic recipe.
i needed a sweet to take to the footy on sunday afternoon so i decided to make the lemon slices. i still have meyer lemons in the backyard so this was the ideal sweet to make.
it’s now become a ritual to have coffee and ‘something’ at three quarter time. and yes, my team won :)
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
200g granita biscuits (i used gluten free arrowroot biscuits)
1 cup desiccated coconut
1 lemon rind, finely grated
2 cups icing sugar
40g butter, softened
1 lemon, juiced
1) grease and line a 3cm deep, 15.5cm x 25cm (base) slab pan.
2) place condensed milk and butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. cook, stirring for 4 to 5 minutes or until butter melts.
3) place biscuits in a food processor and process to fine crumbs.
4) combine crumbs, coconut and 2 teaspoons lemon rind in a bowl.
5) add hot butter mixture and stir until well combined.
6) press biscuit mixture into prepared tin. refrigerate for 1 1/2 hours or until firm.
7) to make the lemon icing – place icing sugar, butter and 2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice in a bowl. beat with a wooden spoon until smooth. spread icing over slice. refrigerate for a further 30 minutes or until icing has set. cut into pieces and serve.
everybody needs a little bit of sweetness in their life but not this much! i would advise that you either cut down on the amount of icing sugar or use a cream cheese icing. [it’s one of the reasons why i cut the slices into small 4cm squares.]
“i always take life with a grain of salt … plus a slice of lemon … and a shot of tequila” ~ unknown