a while ago i bought gluten free rice puffs with the intention of making something sweet. mum was given a packet of murmura (puffed rice) and asked why don’t i use them instead. hmmm ….
i looked on the net for dessert recipes using murmura and i was thrown into a world of ingredients that i hadn’t heard of – jaggery syrup and elachi powder – what?? so i went back to my original plan – rice crispies :)
southern in-law had a gluten free, vegan, dairy free, refined sugar free and no bake recipe. yes please!
3 cups rice crispy cereal (gluten free) – i used murmura (puffed rice)
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup rice syrup (or any other sticky sweetener like honey or agave) – i used honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1) line a 9×9 baking pan with baking paper.
2) in a large bowl measure out cereal and set aside.
3) in a small saucepan over medium heat, melt peanut butter, rice syrup and vanilla.
4) pour the peanut butter mixture over the cereal and mix until all the rice crispies are coated.
5) pour the combined mixture into the baking pan. using a small sheet of baking paper, press down the mixture firmly into the pan.
6) place the pan in the freezer for half an hour or chill in the fridge until set before cutting.
store bars in the fridge or freezer or in an airtight container in a cool cupboard.
not too sweet and a little bit sticky. and they actually tasted better in the days after making them.
only 4 ingredients – so easy and very quick to make! in fact they were so quick to make and i had some murmura (and time) left that i made another batch. but a different batch. chocolate nutella rice crispy bars anyone? oh, can it get any better?
“if you don’t mind smelling like peanut butter for two or three days, peanut butter is darn good shaving cream.” ~ barry goldwater