What to do when bananas go brown/dark? Overripe bananas may not look the best or be the best for eating out of hand …
but they are perfect for cooking. They’re easier to mash, they’re sweeter and the flavour is more intense.
This tropical tasting banana bread recipe, which I made gluten free, is courtesy of Jam Hands.
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup mashed ripe banana
1/3 cup drained crushed pineapple
1/2 cup flaked coconut (or shredded)
2 cups all-purpose flour (gluten free plain flour)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1) In a bowl, cream butter and sugar.
2) Beat in eggs.
3) Stir in banana, pineapple and coconut.
4) Combine dry ingredients, stir into creamed mixture just until combined.
5) Spoon into a greased 8 inch x 4 inch loaf pan.
6) Bake at 350F for 65-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the centre comes out clean.
7) Cool in pan 10 minutes; remove to a wire rack.
This was such an easy-to-follow and quick recipe. You end up with moist banana bread like you have in cafes.
The banana bread tastes even better the next day when toasted and served with butter. Delicious!
“I hate banana bread. It’s too suspicious-looking. I always thought the cooked banana looked like insect legs.” ~ Elizabeth Berg, Talk Before Sleep