Following on from last week’s recipe (gluten free moist pineapple banana bread) I still had a few very-ripe bananas left. I went looking for another banana bread recipe. I found one courtesy of Taste of Home. If it was at all possible this recipe yielded a better banana bread than the pineapple banana bread!
* There were some changes that I made – I used butter instead of shortening, substituted the flour with gluten free plain flour and used frozen blueberries (thawed).
1/2 cup shortening (butter)
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour (gluten free plain flour)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 medium ripe bananas, mashed
1 cup fresh blueberries
1) In a large bowl, cream the shortening (butter) and sugar until light and fluffy.
2) Beat in eggs and vanilla.
3) Combine the flour, baking soda and salt.
4) Gradually add creamed mixture, beating just until combined.
5) Stir in bananas.
6) Fold in blueberries.
7) Pour into three greased 5-3/4-in. x 3-in. x 2-in. loaf pans. I used a 7-3/4-in x 3-3/4 in x 2-3/4 in loaf pan.
8) Bake at 350F (180C) for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
9) Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
The smell of freshly baked banana bread is enough to send your taste buds into a frenzy!
Quick and super easy to make. Delicious and moist. Light and not overly sweet. And it toasts well the next day.
Perfect for morning or afternoon tea.
“Hannah’s magic cure for every ill,” he teased. “Blueberry cake and a kitten.” ~ Elizabeth George Speare, The Witch of Blackbird Pond