This is a delicious and guilt free treat. Very easy to make.
Recipe courtesy of Frankie’s Feast.
The base layer is crunchy and nutty, the raspberry layer is sweet and the chocolate layer is – well, it’s chocolate, enough said.
1 cup almonds
1/3 cup cacao
1/3 cup desiccated coconut
3 tablespoons melted coconut oil
1/2 cup dates, soaked
2 cups fresh or frozen raspberries
2/3 cup raw cashews, soaked for 6 hours or overnight
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
1/3 – 1/2 cup pure maple syrup (depending on preferred sweetness)
1 tablespoon chia seeds
1/2 cup of coconut butter (or cacao butter or coconut oil)
1/2 cup of cacao powder
1/4 cup of organic maple syrup
1) Pour boiling water over the dates and leave to soak.
2) Process the almonds, cacao and coconut in your food processor until they are a flour-like consistency.
3) Add coconut oil and dates and process. Press this mixture into a square pan (I used a rectangular pan) and put in the freezer to chill while you make the next layer.
4) Process all ingredients for the middle layer except the chia seeds until combined.
If you have time to soak the cashews, then do it. It’s not a problem if you don’t get to soak the cashews.
5) Add chia seeds and pulse once or twice to stir through. Taste and add extra maple syrup if desired.
6) Pour this over the top of the base layer and return to the freezer to set before topping with the chocolate layer.
7) For the chocolate layer, melt cacao butter over a low heat, before whisking in the cacao powder. Once smooth, add the maple syrup. Start with a quarter cup and add more if you prefer things a little sweeter.
(The next time I make these slices I will make the chocolate layer with coconut oil.)
8) Pour this layer over the raspberry layer and place it back in the freezer to set (approx. 2-3 hours).
9) Remove from the freezer when firm and slice into desired size. Store in the freezer and remove about 15 minutes before serving. The defrosting time will depend on how big you have cut your slices.
“Like love, chocolate is always a delight to receive or to give.” ~ Mary Jane Finsand