I had a few Granny Smith apples that I wanted to use and bake with. I looked for a recipe online. The recipe had to be raw, gluten free and dairy free. I found a recipe – thanks to Pinterest and Sweetly Raw.
The crust is a cashew coconut crust. The filling is apple, pear, dates and cinnamon. The tart is topped with a coconut drizzle.
It makes one deep 8″ tart, or a 9″ tart of regular depth. If you have a regular tart pan (sides about 1″ high), you’ll have some crust and filling leftover for a snack for yourself.
1 1/3 cups cashews
1 1/3 cups shredded coconut
2 1/2 – 3 tablespoons maple syrup
2 pinches salt
2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon melted coconut oil
Apple pear filling
4 large apples, peeled, cored, and quartered
2 ripe pears, cored and diced (no need to peel)
4-6 medjool dates
1 teaspoon cinnamon, or to taste
Splash of lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Pinch of sea salt
1 tablespoon melted coconut butter
2 1/2 teaspoons hot water
1 teaspoon melted coconut oil
2 drops vanilla stevia
1) Grind the cashews and coconut into flour in a food processor.
2) Add the remaining ingredients. Process to combine.
3) Press the mixture evenly into a deep 8″ tart pan with removable bottom.
4) Chill in the freezer while making filling.
I put the crust in the fridge and let it chill overnight.
Apple pear filling
1) In a food processor puree 2 of the apples, with the dates, cinnamon, lemon, vanilla and salt until as smooth as possible (stop and scrape the sides down a few times). Transfer to a large bowl.
The food processor wasn’t working for me so I used the stick blender. Worked a treat :)
2) Pulse the other 2 apples in the food processor until chopped, NOT pureed. Add to the puree.
3) Add the diced pears. Stir all together. Add a bit more chopped apple or pear if the mixture is too wet.
To save on time I chopped the apples and pears at the same time.
4) Spread into the tart crust.
1) Stir all ingredients together in a small bowl. Make sure to keep warm or it will cease.
2) Drizzle over the tart.
I served the tart to my family. The tart was enough for 11 people with one piece left over. The family loved it!
“Good apple pies are a considerable part of our domestic happiness.” ~ Jane Austen