The best way I said I love you on Valentine’s Day was with a delicious HEALTHY dessert recipe. Who needs roses, wine and chocolate anyways? I made these no bake bite sized cookie sandwiches for our weekly Tuesday night family dinner. Yeah, the family liked them :)
Recipe courtesy of Rabbit Food For My Bunny Teeth
1 cup pitted Medjool dates (pitted)
1/2 cup unsalted sunflower seeds
1/2 cup walnuts
3 Tbsp raw cacao powder (or 4 Tbsp cocoa powder)
1/2 tbsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup raspberries
2 Tbsp coconut flour
1 Tbsp coconut oil
1 Tbsp honey or agave
1 tsp vanilla
Makes about 24 one inch heart shaped sandwiches.
1) Blend the sunflower seeds and walnuts in a food processor until finely ground but not a nut butter consistency.
2) Add the cacao powder and vanilla extract and blend again until mixed evenly.
3) Remove pits from dates. Add the the dates and process until a dough like mixture is formed. You should be able to sculpt the dough without crumbling.
4) Remove the dough from the food processor and transfer onto a large piece of wax paper. Cover the top of the dough with wax paper, and flatten with a rolling pin.
5) Place the flattened dough in the freezer (with both sheets of wax paper) while you make the filling.
6) For the filling, combine raspberries, coconut flour, coconut oil, honey, and vanilla in a food processor and blend until smooth.
7) Transfer the filling mixture onto a large piece of wax paper.
8) Cover the top with another piece of wax paper and use a rolling pin to flatten.
9) Transfer the filling (with wax paper) to the freezer.
10) While the filling is setting, remove the outer dough from the freezer and remove the top layer of wax paper. Using a 1 inch heart shaped cookie cutter, cut the dough into hearts.
11) Remove the filling from the freezer and remove the top layer of wax paper. Using the cookie cutter, cut the filling into hearts.
12) Place one heart of filling over one cookie heart, and top with another cookie heart to form a sandwich. Store in the freezer until served.
Note: Frozen raspberries in the filling can be used to expedite the setting process.
If you’re short on time, skip the filling and just make the cookies. Also, you can use other shaped cookie cutters to make different shaped cookie sandwiches.
“The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched – they must be felt with the heart.” ~ Helen Keller